Friday, July 6, 2012

Czesc!


Czesc!  Hi!  This is day 2 of the Day Camp for kids in Warsaw.  I am loving it here and enjoying every minute.  I taught my Bible Story today and it went really well.  The kids participated and had great responses.  We have had close to 50 kids come and participate as well as some parents.  I was in charge of recreation/sports yesterday and will continue to do that the rest of the week.  I have really enjoyed learning the language here.  Although it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to learn.  They said that Polish is the 3rd hardest language behind Chinese and another form of Chinese.  I will have to agree.  The Polish people here have been teaching me and helping me and they say that I am doing well.  I will only be here a week, but I love a challenge and this language is fascinating.  Jak sie masz?  How are you?  Dobrze. Fine.  The thing that it hard is that their letters say different sounds than ours.  For example, J says y and w says v.  They don’t have a q.  Anyway, I have learned how to say 4 colors so far and want to learn to count to 10 as well.  Red=Czerwony  Blue=niebieski  Yellow=Zolty and Green=Zielony.  We had a chance to talk to one of the Baptist Ministers here and also a Polish guy who has recently been saved.  You cannot believe the way things are over here.  Baptists or Evangelicals are viewed as a cult here.  Majority of people are Polish Catholic.  They believe they are saved by the church and not by the grace of God.  The older generations believe it is a sin to even go to another church.  They know nothing about having a relationship with Christ.  They don’t even understand the concept.  They believe you go to church and to mass and you are saved.  The people are scared and fear the priest.  People don’t read the Bible at home.  Some believe that only the Catholic Priest can read it.  Also, the Catholics only read and know the New Testament.  The missionaries and the ministers of the Baptist Church over here are praying for a change in their country.  This camp has been a great way to show this community that we are not a cult and show them the love of Jesus and that you can have a relationship with Him.  The children are learning about Jesus’ miracles, His life, and what He did/does for us.  Pray that we will begin to break down walls and be able to reach some of these people. 

Tonight we are going on a City Search or a Hunt.  We are breaking up into groups and we have a list of 6 places/things we must find.  I am excited and I think it will be fun.  It’s nap time for me again.  I do think that I am finally starting to feel normal again!  The time change was very hard, but it is getting better.  Oh, FYI, Polish food is…….ummmmm…….strange.  I have had a few good things, but for the most part it is different.  More to come later.  Dowidzenia!  Goodbye! 

No comments: